The last bit of “old hospital” is about to disappear in the coming weeks – with the demolition of the redundant mortuary, generator room and garage on the driveway into the unit.
But the Friends are working with officials and contractors to save the cross and a stained glass building that hark back to the original hospital’s opening in 1924.
The aim is to incorporate them into a feature somewhere in the grounds.
All three buildings have been without power and services since the old hospital was demolished in 2011, and have fallen into disrepair with crumbling brickwork and failing roofs.
The hospital authorities say the buildings contain asbestos. So, as they deteriorate, there is a danger of collapse and asbestos becoming exposed to the public.
The options were either to repair – which was financial unviable because of no modern day use – or to demolish, which was given planning permission in December with no objection from the town council.
Work clearing the asbestos will happen this week, followed by demolition which should take another two weeks.
The Norfolk Community Health and Care NHS Trust which runs the hospital has longer term plans to use the sites for extra space for the community nursing and social services teams – but the project is not currently in any future spending programme.
The Friends are aware of public concern about the loss of the buildings which have been posted on social media.
Friends chairman Keith Jarvis said: “Of course it is sad to see historic buildings go, which is why we have asked for the cross and window to be saved. But we also have to look to the future and providing facilities for the hospital’s modern day roles and patients. “