A piece of North Walsham hospital history has been saved as a garden feature thanks to the Friends group.
A window and cross from the old 1929 chapel were rescued when it was demolished earlier this year due to its deteriorating condition.
Now they have been mounted in a brick memorial in the hospital garden as a reminder of the community hospital’s heritage – and as a talking point for patients, visitors and staff enjoying the grounds.
Records show the old chapel was built at a cost of £294 in 1929-30, some six years after the hospital was opened in 1924.
Friends chairman Keith Jarvis said: “We were initially concerned when the old chapel on the entrance road was earmarked for demolition, as it was the last remaining piece of the original hospital built in the 1920s.
“But the authorities kindly saved the window and cross when we asked, and we are pleased to give them a new life in the garden which is currently getting a makeover thanks to volunteers.
“We hope people appreciate it as attractive feature which also reminds people about the site’s long and proud history of community care.”
He thanked tradesmen John Easton and Kelly Yaxley along with Daniels Aggregates and Travis Perkins’ North Walsham branch for donations of labour and building materials which reduced the cost of the project.
The garden memorial was funded and organised by the Friends, who use public donations to provide “extras” to improve the quality of life for patients, staff and visitors.
The Friends have also funded bird feeders for the garden, where they have also supported the volunteer team with gardening materials and equipment.